29 January 2006

Suddenly it's Sunday

Sunday. A day of relaxation. It certainly has been. I have relaxed in the study-lounge of my dorm. I have relaxed during my run to Carib (a local brewery) and back in the steaming hot sun (did I mention that it almost never gets cold here. In fact, the times when I put on the most clothes are when I am inside because the a/c is usually kept to Arctic temperatures around here. I sometimes have to wear pants and long-sleeved shirts indoors!). I then relaxed while I gulped my dinner to get a good seat in the Histology building (it’s a great place to study and spread out). Finally, I'm relaxing right now before I head to a study session later to talk about syncitiotrophoblasts and cytotrophoblasts (sounds intriguing, doesn't it?).

Actually, it is pretty fun. In fact, your fun fact of the week is that syncitiotrophoblasts are cells which have no distinct plasma membrane, and invade the endometrium of the uterus during implantation of the blastocyst (i.e., fertilized ovum). How interesting is that? Then, they absorb uterine ducts and maternal blood to create the primordial placenta . . . but, I suppose that’s neither here nor there.

Anyway, I believe I briefly mentioned the Sugar Shack in an earlier post. That is the restaurant with the best roti ever. Well, we went there on Saturday night for dinner and, let me just say, you will not have better jerk pork or chicken in the world. It was out of control. I am, however, sad to report that they only serve the jerk-dinner on Saturday night, so it will be another week until I can have it again!

Afterward we headed to the student center. It’s a lot like the Memorial Union in Madison. We have two restaurants, a weight room, a bank, and a couple of outdoor basketball courts (which are readily and easily converted into street hockey courts. More on that later.) Additionally, we have a full-service bar, much like Madison. So, we went to have a few drinks and enjoy the weather from the huge porch/deck combination of the upper level. Even though I don't particularly rubbing it in to people who aren't here, it does feel strange to be enjoying the late January weather. We keep making references to things that happen in the summer at home as though we will have to wait for them. It’s also strange to be thinking about the Winter Olympics when there is no winter (not that I'm complaining). The point is, it was a great night.

I would like to take this opportunity to also describe the street hockey situation here at SGU. Interestingly enough, one of our anatomy prof. hails from Canada, but way of the University of Michigan for his doctorate, so he has hockey in every orifice. He has set-up a fairly competitive and incredibly well-attended street hockey following for all the students.

So, a friend and I decided to join in on Saturday as they were gearing up for some pick-up games. Many of you may not know this, but when I was younger, I actually played ice hockey. My dad and I had some fun mornings at 6.00am Sunday practice, and although I look back upon my hockey days fondly, I'm not sure I reacted that way when I was little. As an aside (I really enjoy stream-of-consciousness writing, by the way), my team was selected to play during one of the intermissions at an Admiral's game, and that was awesome. My team won, and although I wasn't the best on the team, I definitely had the best clothes-line penalty of the night. Since there were no officials during the little game that we played, it was pretty outstanding!

I also spent some very exciting Sunday afternoons at the NAT, in Madison, playing floor hockey. The team on which I played was awesome but we kept getting screwed by the blue-haired ref who hated us for some reason.

Being the only 1st termers on the court, we weren't really sure what we were about to experience. It was only 4 vs. 4, so it couldn't be too bad, right? In fact, that would be false. We looked like complete fools as these guys ran circles around us and our teammates just bailed us out the entire time. Eventually, they just left us alone by our respective goals and did their own thing on offense while we pretended to play defense. It was a lot of fun, but you need a full semester just to get acclimated!

Back to reality, tomorrow morning I will spend some time with the various cadavers in the anatomy lab. I have not actually named the male that I (along with other students) am specifically assigned to dissect, but I will ask around and see what some other students have decided about their respective bodies. I was thinking Wayne for mine, but I can't really say why . . . just seems appropriate.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Wayne" is so boring Patrick. Couldn't you name him "Newton", or even (dare I say) "Nugent"?

-Dav

1:18 PM  
Blogger Patrick said...

I suppose, but I don't want him getting all uppity on me (or on anyone else for that matter). Haha...get it? Uppity? hahaha. Oh, how I miss my bad jokes.

4:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home