13 January 2006

Spiceland Mall/Super-Value

As anyone who has gone to college is acutely aware, buying groceries for the first time and then trying to cook/eat said groceries is an interesting, yet dangerous, proposal. Though I cooked from time-to-time while living off-campus, it never really occurred to me to attempt this feat while living in the dorms.

It turns out; cooking for yourself is somewhat of a necessity here at St. Georges. They have a number of fine restaurant establishments here at school, but I am slowly starving myself as its difficult to eat more than one or two meals per day at these places as you are paying cash, and since I can't receive my loan check until tomorrow, cash is rapidly disappearing and not being replaced.

But, all is not lost. After joining many of the '1st termers' on the school-sponsored 'Rhum Runner Cruise' today, I decided I would try to get into town in order to repair my phone and buy groceries. Let me first say a word, or two, on the aforementioned 'Cruise.' The Rhum Runner (yes, I spelled it that way twice on purpose) is a vessel much like the Iroquois in Milwaukee. A large group embarks, the band starts playing the steel drums, and they start serving the most potent rum punches in the world (for free) to everyone on board.

You leave the harbor, go directly over a reef where they toss some food overboard and open the glass-bottom section of the boat. Then, after about an hour of being on the water, they drop you off at a beach, let you roam from an hour and a half, and then take you directly home. I had a great time while only consuming one drink (you could seriously take paint off the walls with this stuff), but let me say that already I have met someone who will skinny-dip at 11.00am if it means more punch is on the way.

I have posted some new pictures from this journey (not of the naked man) on my photo-site, should anyone be interested. After this cruise, I decided to try my hand at grocery shopping. This was a fun experience. I have made some observations:

1. Fresh (as in refrigerated) milk is only available when it comes in, but boxed milk is good forever as long as you refrigerate it after opening.
2. Chicken feet can be butchered to order, or they are also in the freezer isle.
3. Frozen foods may or may not be opened and 'inspected' by other consumers before deciding against the purchase.
4. Fresh, packaged fish is usually stored on the floor due to the smell.

So, this was a fun, fact-finding experience for me, one which I regret not taking more pictures to share. Also included in this trip was a stop at the phone store, where I discovered that they will need to keep my phone until Tuesday, at which time I can call a very nice lady who will tell me if it’s done or not. She assured me that it will be finished Tuesday, yet I would not be surprised if that was not the case.

Finally, I have figured out my new mailing address, so if anyone wants it, please ask (I'm not posting it on the website!), but I have to find the nearest post office and so you won't be receiving anything back for a few days at least. Tomorrow should be an easy, so maybe I'll let you know how it goes cooking my own food.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home