08 January 2006

Finished Packing

Its about time. If collecting your items and putting them all together into a suitcase is any measure of being ready, then I'm ready. I mean, how I could be more prepared to move over 2,500 miles with only some clothes, a computer and some school supplies. I should be extremely happy; I'm about to start medical school, an adventure which will last me the rest of my life and be the rest of my life.

I'd like to move completely off topic to say a little but about my family. Right now, we're watching Remember the Titans in the family room, and my sister Maggie says, "There are just so many parts to this movie when I want to cry." Madeline, who at this point is lying on Maggie's stomach, also watching the movie, says right back at her, "You would cry at this movie." These are the things that I miss while I'm not living at home, and will definitely miss while I'm away at school. Also, Maggie is the only one in the family willing to swear around our mother, which I would say is a risky proposal.

I have a very clear memory of Maggie and my mother (if you work with me, you also may have referred to her as 'Momma Meloy') at a Brewer game. Everyone except Joe was there and we were basically alone in our section. At one of the breaks between innings, Steve Miller Band's Swingtown starts playing on the sound system. If you ever attended a UW-Madison football game, you heard it and sang along with their special lyrics. In addition, the student section also has been known to swear at each other. So, into the spirit of the student section, but actually at the Brewer game, Maggie turns over to her mother and yells, "Eat shit!" My mom, clue less as to the nature of this outburst, basically falls out of her seat and everyone else is laughing hysterically.

Anyway, I figure that this post has gone on long enough, and I'm not sure just exactly what the point was when I started out, but I think the point now is that I'm going to miss things like this while I'm away. I'm not saying that its not to move onto a new playing field, or move to a new country, but I'm a little sad about leaving the comforts and things that I have gotten to know so well over the last few years.

Its going to be hard to leave in the morning, to be sure, but its nothing more than another adventure I've been preparing my whole life to start.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home