10 January 2006

Barbados International Airport

Right now, I'm looking out into a bay with clear, blue water, several small offshore islands and a beautiful blue sky. I would be lying if I said my trip to get here was uneventful, because it was eventful. Let's reminisce . . .

My trip from Milwaukee to Chicago was OUT-standing. Maggie and Dad drove me down and I have absolutely no complaints. From Chicago to San Juan, also awesome. I sat next to an elderly lady and her daughter and we chit-chatted the whole time and laughed and enjoyed ourselves immensely. Even the flight from San Juan to Barbados was nice and quiet, with marginal turbulence.

When most people fly, there is only one possible thing that can go wrong: their luggage doesn't make it. When most people fly to foreign countries, the worry about a number of things, including not having their luggage arrive with them. When the average person arrives in a foreign country, specifically in the airport where he or she is about to spend the night waiting for an AM flight, they are concerned that their luggage will remain with them throughout that special evening.

Fortunately for me, I did not have to worry about my luggage getting stolen: it simply did not arrive from San Juan to Barbados. Now, to be fair, I have my carry-on and one of my bags. But, the bag with (wait for it, this gets good!) my SOCKS, PILLOW, and TOWEL (note the importance of these three items!), and other clothing items, somehow did not arrive in Barbados, and would consequently not be arriving in Grenada "until Wednesday at the earliest," quota the baggage handler in Barbados. So, I spent the night in Barbados International, waiting for a flight that wouldn't leave for another 10 hours. The good news is that I didn't need my pillow in the airport, because it was open-air, i.e., I had to sit with my bags all night long outside at the ticket check-in, staring into the parking lot of the airport. At least I met a lovely woman, also spending the night, so we could have bathroom breaks and little naps while the other watched our things.

The rest has been uneventful, and I met a nice guy from my dorm who let me store my stuff in his room while we explored the campus since the RA was nowhere to be found when I arrived to get my key, have since eaten (which has made me more tolerable) and also have finally met my RA to unpack my now extremely meager lot of worldly items.

And here I sit, in one of the open-air cafeterias, staring out over a soccer field, through some palm trees, at the ocean. Its been a fun 36 hours, but I could do with a little less drama and a little more PILLOW!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI PATRICK!!

Sounds like you have had yourself quite the adventure so far. Hope you get your PILLOW soon!

9:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm reading back to catch up with you! didn't know you had a blog. anyway - AA lost my bags in San Juan once. they never returned. sad sad sad.

10:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home