21 January 2006

One Week Down

We have officially finished our first week as medical students. It was definitely a daunting experience. Learning anatomy is very interesting, and although I knew the body was a complex place, it amazes me how many muscles, bones and nerves are truly interconnected and dependent on each other.

Speaking of anatomy, we had our first dissection on Friday. This was an extremely interesting and, though it might initially sound inappropriate, fun experience. I recently realized I had become desensitized to death and the human body when, in the aftermath of a code, i.e., cardiac/respiratory arrest (a code that I'm sure was preventable had the infamous trifecta not been working), I headed to the morgue with the body and a pocketful of pretzels since I was hungry. This is not to say that I am not sensitive to the deceased, but that I have learned that bodies are only temporary vessels.

So, anyway, our lab was fun in that we could actually see how the muscles are working together with the bones to move different parts of the body. It truly makes the anatomy come alive (no pun intended). In fact, all of my classes are fun. Reviewing the material and seeing what we are about to learn is what keeps everything interesting. For example, did you know that

In addition to schoolwork, of which I have probably done more in one week than the entirety of my undergraduate career, I have learned that Indian food is outstanding. There is a little-known restaurant on campus named the Sugar Shack, and they serve a dished called roti that is amazing. It only costs EC$9.00 (about $3.00) and is out of this world. Additionally, its as big as a burrito from Q-doba (which is incidentally infinitely better than Chipotle).

I'm not really sure where my point lies in all this, but let me summarize briefly. I've adjusted to living here, now I need to adjust to going back to school. It was certainly nice not having an responsibility except work (where I generally also have little responsibility). This week of classes has definitely taught me some humility, the fact that I now love Indian food, and the fact that the human body is incredibly more interesting than I originally thought.

Finally, I love to hear what's happening at home, so please keep your e-mails coming, and you'll find I respond with passable regularity.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i cant believe that you actually dissected a human body...that must have been really interesting. Ive seen your pictures and it looks like your having a really good time. im glad to hear it.
Danny

6:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your blog and it would appear that you have a passion for medicine

11:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Patrick,

All I can keep thinking out loud is "Im so proud, my little boy is all grown up". Now I know we arent related by blood...but I feel as close to you as any big sister would. My very best wishes to you. Im not only proud, but extremely excited as well to hear of all your adventures/experiences. Please, keep writing...its fun to read.

4:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah! a fellow anatomy enthusiast! Aren't you glad you read Stiff before getting into the lab? I hope your cadaver provides a wealth of information for you. Bodies are so magnificiently constructed...this experience is invaluable.

1:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home